F-1 students at Sofia University are eligible for one Annual Vacation quarter per calendar year when they have successfully completed an "academic year" (one academic year at Sofia is defined as three full-time quarters per the academic calendar). Depending upon when the F-1 student began his/her program, their "Annual Vacation Quarter" could be Fall, Winter, Spring or Summer.
- Complete three consecutive full-time quarters prior to the vacation quarter
- Intend to register full-time following the vacation quarter for three consecutive quarters again (unless you qualify for a different part-time exception, such as for medical reasons, final quarter, etc.)
- Are not in the first quarter of your degree program
- Are not in your final quarter; for part-time enrollment permission in your final quarter, which is a separate exception to the full-time rule requirement.
- If you have any further questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can F-1 students work during the annual vacation break?
F1 visa regulations allow students to work up to 40 hours per week for an on-campus job or approved CPT internship. However, in order to qualify for CPT, you must be enrolled in a part-time/full-time Internship course to receive CPT authorization. Please coordinate with the International Office for more details.
What is Vacation Quarter?
A vacation quarter is a quarter when the F-1 student is not registered as a full-time student but will be enrolling in courses the following quarter. During vacation quarter, you can choose to go home, stay in the U.S., enroll in part-time courses, enroll in our WIL Internship course or decide not to take any classes. F-1 students must intend to register full-time at Sofia University for the following quarter after their annual vacation quarter is over. Please note, unused vacation quarters do not accumulate or "roll over." For example, if the F-1 student enrolls full-time for six consecutive quarters, you cannot take two vacation quarters in one academic year.
When am I Eligible for a Vacation Quarter?
You are eligible for an annual vacation quarter after you have studied full time for three consecutive quarters full-time prior to be eligible for your annual break vacation.
What if I am Not Eligible for Vacation Quarter but I Need to Take a Quarter Off?
Things can come up academically or personally, and you may find yourself in a situation where you need to take a quarter (or more) off from your studies. In this case, you must contact our International Office and we will advise you accordingly to your specific situation.
Can I Take My Final Quarter at Sofia as My Vacation Quarter?
If you are completing your program, you may not take your final quarter as an annual vacation. You are, however, eligible to enroll less than full time during your final quarter if fewer courses are needed to graduate.
- Employment start/end dates
- Full-time or part-time employment (part-time is a maximum of 20 hours per week)
- Location of employment
- Submit to the designated Faculty Internship Advisor for approval